Sunday, November 18, 2012

#47 Treasure

Unashamedly, I'll admit that this week's post has come from my archives. 

My parents and I had two shared memorable occasions - their anniversary and my birthday.  So every year, there was a double celebration on the day, or near to it.  Being born on their 5th wedding anniversary, as a little girl I had been known to tell people that "I was born on my Mummy's wedding day!", which didn't sit too well with little old ladies who I told... 

Each year, from 2004 until 2011, a family picnic was held, the 2004 one being the occasion of Mum & Dad's 65th anniversary.  Sometimes, someone would even remember to wish me a Happy Birthday but I didn't mind. 

In July 2007, Dad died at the good age of almost 90 but leaving my nearly blind Mum alone in the assisted residence where they had moved just 2 years before.  Although she was devastated at his loss (they had been sweethearts since she was 14!), she carried on, with the help of my sister, myself and full-time care workers who we hired, but eventually passed away in August 2009, also nearly 90.  She was lost without her beloved Doug and I like to think of them as being reunited now.  When Dad died, they had been married for 66 years, 10 months and 20 days - quite an accomplishment!

This photo was taken at the family picnic in 2006, the last time we had our pictures taken together on our big day - and there were many of them, I can assure you.  So for me, it's one that I treasure - and that, for me, fits this week's theme. 


I used an OnOne Photo Essentials 3 acid burn frame.

6 comments:

  1. A wonderful photo to bring back beautiful memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful moment captured. How special to have double celebrations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is a lovely photo of the three of you I giggled when I read the part of you telling the ladies when you were born, too funny.

    ReplyDelete

  4. What great smiles all around, a sweet shot
    I too love that you startled the 'little old ladies' as I hurtle into becoming one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Treasured memory and treasured photograph...lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can see why this is such a treasure! Awesome family pic...and I love that frame!

    ReplyDelete