Sunday, July 22, 2012

#30 - Characters

My PET friends will recognize this image as one I posted in the Retouching Gallery this week.  Excuse my redundancy but I'm going to repeat what I said about it there and add a few extra comments.

I joined the Photographic Society of America earlier this year and have been entering images in their Salons, both Colour and Creative.  When I see what wins or gets accepted in the Creative section, I realize that mine pale by comparison, sooooo...

Decided to go a bit crazy creative this week.  The original image was of a baby rabbit that came to our street party a few weeks ago and the eyes are one of his, duplicated many times.  The idea for the distorting of it came from a PET Be Creative tutorial on making abstract art from photos.

Once I had done the eyes, it all seemed to come together and the theme "Characters" came to mind as I couldn't decide what to give the eyes for bodies.  "How about Chinese characters?" I thought - and voila!  Played around some more and added the stars for interest, highlight stars in their eyes and finally to fill the bare right-hand corner, a burn effect with a paper damage brush.

I'll be really interested to hear what everyone thinks of this one...  Be truthful!

7 comments:

  1. I like the way the eyes stand out on the sparkling textured background. I would like to know what the words the characters represent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great creativity and imagination Linda. I like it a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda, Thanks for stopping by my new blog!! This image is unusual and very creative!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw this over at the village and really liked it, but I love it here...the larger size allows us to see more of the elements...nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the animal look of the characters, a fine play with the eyes. I see owls and a cat.
    To be honest the lower right corner doesn't add much for me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you're saying about the bottom right corner, Ellen but felt it needed something there. Tried a page curl but it just got too complicated so settled for a burned edge. Better luck next time...

      Delete